Friday, December 19, 2008

Patience in the little things

I always thought that I was a patient person- until I had a child and although he is for the most part the sweetest little angel there are times that really test me. It seems like the big things- like when he's sick throwing up I handle just fine but it's those little 'toddler' moments that catch me off guard.

Today the little man dumped a nearly full carton of eggs on the floor- Before I knew it I found myself shouting 'NO'. The poor little guy- his lips trembled and he started to cry as he ran to the other side of the kitchen. I immediatly realized what I had done and forgetting the eggs went to appologize to him as best as possible- Such a sweet little one he hugged me right back walked over to the mess with me and stood pointing at them saying Uh Oh with a concerned look on his face while I cleaned up the mess.

It made me think- how many times have I dumped the egg carton- and my heavenly father was patient we me? He never shouted or scolded but was always there to gently correct and help me clean up my mess.

" And behold, as the tree beginneth to grow, … if ye nourish it with much care it will get root, and grow up, and bring forth fruit. … And because of your diligence and your faith and your patience … ye shall pluck the fruit thereof, which is most precious, which is sweet above all that is sweet, … and ye shall feast upon this fruit even until ye are filled, that ye hunger not, neither shall ye thirst. … Ye shall reap the rewards of your faith, and your diligence, and patience” (Alma 32:37, 42–43).

1 comment:

...Sheri said...

Wow! Thanks I needed that today! I'm a mother of 5 and have had many toddler moments too. Thanks for your insight.